Friday, January 15, 2010

The Minister's cat is a precarious cat

Having a spinal cord injury enables me to understand 1 Peter 1:24-25 All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever. These past two days I have had increased secretions which block my breathing and necessitate suctions to restore easier breathing. I have now opted to have frequent suctions. In the day it means returning to my room to get "cleaned out" and at night being wakened every three hours to have a suction. The nurse usually says just one more and it is 3-5 times down consequently I am very tired and take frequent (ministers) cat naps!Two of Laverne's cousins, Barbara and Joan visited yesterday and Barbara made us a quilted hanging of the minister's cat so now there is a minister's cat residing in my room. Please pray that I won't get any infections so that I am healthy for the diaphragm pacer which means I won't need a ventilator. I think of all of you often and look forward to the day I can come home and see you.

4 comments:

  1. Good morning John and family.

    'Strange' how that very scripture is one that I was reading yesterday as well. Perhaps brought on by the Haitian devestation... and how life can change on a dime.

    But through it all.... HE is the one constant.

    Do you have a date for the sugery?

    Praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying the surgery goes well and the infections stay gone. Love to all of you
    Alexa and Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John & Laverne...

    Forgot to tell you an interesting tidbit that came to light during the making of the quilt. Indivdual fabrics often are named by the designer, with the name printed in the selvage, and it wasn't until I was putting the outside brown border on that I actually read the name of the border fabric. The name was "Coming in on a wing and a prayer"...
    Now there is nothing in that fabric design that would indicate a reason for such a title, but it was the perfect fabric for that border, and for that quilt! It was a joyful quilt to make. Barbara (Foster) Bettles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good evening to you both. I have never been suctioned but I think I can grasp (a little) how tiring it is. I am also very aware of the risks of not being suctioned often enough, despite the fatigue factor. I will be really focused in my prayers John, for freedom from infection, for good quality rest (sleep is even better) between sessions, and for a date for your pacer implant surgery, sooner than later. We too eagerly look forward to the day you come home to Powell River. You both are in my thoughts and prayers daily, even when I don't "write".

    ReplyDelete