Thursday, October 22, 2009

Visitors & Update

Cards Galore
Today I was visited by Gerry and Alma from Powell River who brought me cards from Kelly Creek Kids Club. The cards now decorate my room and are a conversation piece. Last year our attendance was 12-16. Last week was the first meeting this year and attendance was 23.
Blast from the Past
In 1993 our family spent a year in Kenya. Katie attended Tichie Swot in grade 5 at Rift Valley Academy. The school principal was Mark Buhler from Campbell River. Imagine our surprise when he turned up to visit this afternoon. We shared an update on RVA and our families. Mark is in Vancouver for another month until he goes back to Kenya so we can expect further visits. Yeah!
Update on my status
1. I am now officially on the list to go to GF Strong. There are only 2 beds for ventilators so I will get to go when a ventilator bed becomes available and when I am at the top of the list
2. Nerve tests for diaphragm pacing will be Monday morning. This test will be the first one done in a hospital room in VGH. If I fail this one they will give me another one in the usual place-the Diamond Centre just across the road from VGH. If I qualify in these tests I will be able to breathe normally without a ventilator

2 comments:

  1. Hi John...so much enjoying your stories...once a storyteller, always a storyteller! Praise the Lord for his influence in your stories, in your life, and for the people who He brings across your path to share with! It's a joy to see and hear daily how things are going with you.
    Prayers for good results with this test you mentioned, and progress through your continued path of recovery and learning.
    Here it's become more the hibernation time of year...home beside the fire after long workdays. I've been feeling a lack of creativity within myself for some time now, and it's been eating at me...I've been missing it a lot. Long story short...I've found some nice yarns and have begun to knit again...it's such fun to make things for people we care about as they become forefront in our minds as we create this cozy item just for them...thoughts, memories, prayers, and love...all revolve around them and are involved in every stitch!
    Sergei is so enjoying the VIU automotive course, and Anna is taking a writing course, which she loves too. The older boys are both working and making a life in Langley...Elias is working with his passion...bicycles, and Isaac is working and watching out for something more stimulating than grocery! His intent is to get into marine work, and he'll be taking more schooling as he works toward that.
    Well my friend...love and hugs to you and your family as always...you're in our thoughts and prayers every day.
    Deb W and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, we will be praying that you get a bed at GF Strong soon, and that you pass your nerve tests...

    It's week two of Kids Club, and no gym tonight! Please pray for us that we'll be able to keep the kids entertained at the church...We'll be sure and let them know that they're cards were received, and decorating your room!

    With Love,
    MariAnn

    ReplyDelete