Sunday, November 15, 2009

Setbacks

Today I'd like to talk about setbacks. A setback in hospital rarely descends without warning. Yesterday they did various tests and x-rays. Once I hear a positive outcome report I immediately fill in the blanks with the thing that would made it a complete joy. As a result the next consultation brings with it a disappointment. Today I found out I have pneumonia and won't be going to GF Strong for a while which is disappointing news to everyone but a complete devastation to the castles in the air I had been building. So how do I go on from here? Proverbs 3:5,6 says Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight. I had spent all my time figuring out my best solution with only a few 'arrow' prayers for God to approve my solution. The problem wasn't that I had figured out my own solution but rather I had forgotten F.R.O.G. Fully rely on God - everywhere, every time, every place. Please pray that I don't leave God out of the picture. Love John

6 comments:

  1. Aahh yes. How many times do we all build castles in the sky and pray that God will bless the plans we're sure are his....?? Thanks for the reminder to be a FROG in all we do and plan. I'll pray for healing of your pneumonia and that you continue to rely on God in all things and keep him at the center of your focus.
    Ribbit, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, we will be praying especially for you, Laverne and Katie tonight.

    John, may the Lord show you His strength in both the setbacks and victories. May you see His sovereignty in all that happens.

    Laverne, may the Comforter pour peace into your heart and give you restfilled sleep. May the Lord grant you strength & patience as you face the ups and downs along the path of this journey.

    Katie, may you find strength in the Lord. May the Lord clearly show you His hand working in the affairs of your family. May you learn to trust Him in new and deeper ways as you walk this journey with your parents.

    And we'll pray that this pneumonia is dealt with and that you can get back to GF Strong soon. In the meantime, keep on F.R.O.G.ging! It blesses the socks off the Lord, I'm sure! And what a testimony to the nursing staff.

    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  3. John

    Your cousins and your Aunt Sheila in Trail all have you in our thoughts and prayers.
    Your courage and strength are an inspiration for us all.

    The Brown Family in Trail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am praying for you always...and hold you in my heart.

    Take care all of you

    Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I remember learing Proverbs 3:5,6 at KCCC. John and Laverne... your faith and perserverance continue to inspire me daily. I will continue to pray for you both.
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to know that even when we (momentarily) forget to FROG, our wonderful and faithful God does not forget to FHOTU (Fully Hold On To Us). He knows that we at times forget, but He is always there, waiting for us to turn back to Him.
    I know that when you forget to FROG it is only for a moment, for you are in love with the Lord, way to much and these are only small moments. Did not Peter walk on water when he the Lord called him and when he looked around he sank, but do we no all need to learn some lessons and come out stronger in the end?

    We know how strong your love and trust in God is and so does He.
    My prayer is that God will hem you in so much that there is no way that you can miss Him no matter where you will look

    ReplyDelete