Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Toleration

Wednesday, September 30, 2009
About 3 days ago I had new tubing, a smaller trach, and a valve put in so I could talk both when I breath in and out which some will look on as a blessing and others as a curse. These were a lot of changes which were very exciting as they also lead to me being able to swallow and eat soon. Before that happens I have to tolerated having my cuff deflated and the speaking valve in. This is not as easy as it seems. I felt like I was not getting enough air so they fiddled with many things like giving me a bigger volume of air, even pills for anxiety, upping my medication but nothing seemed to help me tolerate this any better. Today they decided to give me more breaths per minute and finally I feel comfortable with the cuff down. This reminded me of the program I listened to on CBC about the church in China. The 3 Self church has the bells and whistles (like meds and equipment) but no breath. The house church movement in China could not tolerate this. To them the breath of God (Spirit) is what is necessary. The verse that I thought to go with this is 1 Cor. 9:22b I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

2 comments:

  1. John, this post made me think of Elijah on the mountain in 1 Kings 19:11-12 The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by."
    Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper...(Is a whisper not like a breath? and breath is our barest necessity. How beautiful to find God's faithfulness, His presence, His provision, His promise, there, with every breath)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there uncle John. It sounds like you are busy and it is good to hear about all the progress. It is also very busy here, but still interesting. We learned about ROMS (Range or motion) and how to do this today in our nursing lab. It is pretty interesting.

    The Ministers cat is a "holistic cat"

    ReplyDelete