Sunday, May 16, 2010

Blake's Jerusalem

Yesterday we went to a sing-a-long concert. One of the pieces was William Blake’s Jerusalem and it has occupied my thoughts today as I there are no doctors around and no appointments. The first verse is controversial as people interpret it that Jesus visited England but it brought to my mind the verse whoever welcomes a child in my name welcomes me. Blake doesn’t leave us with ancient history and so the second verse is his personal relationship with God. “Bring me my bow of burning gold: Bring me my arrows of desire: Bring me my spear: O clouds, unfold! Bring me my chariot of fire! I will not cease from mental fight, Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand Till we have built Jerusalem In England's green and pleasant land. What interested me was to look at the lines and apply each one to my life. My favourite line is Bring me my arrows of desire. I’ve just started on Blake’s poem so you’ll get more at another time.

1 comment:

  1. We pray for a save journey home to Powell River tomorrow.

    Love Scott and Elke

    ReplyDelete