Thursday, May 26, 2011

Word of the Week: “ephemera”

I have decided to dedicate one blog entry a week to looking into a word, what it means, and how it applies to life in general and my life in particular.
Meaning
ephemera (ɪˈfɛmərə) — n , pl -eras , -erae 1. a mayfly, esp one of the genus Ephemera 2. something transitory or short-lived 3. ( functioning as plural ) a class of collectable items not originally intended to last for more than a short time, such as tickets, posters, postcards, or labels 4. a plural of ephemeron
This definition came from the World Dictionary on dictionary.com. It originally was the Greek name for the mayfly, a short-lived insect, and became applied to anything that did not last.
Life in General
When put alongside eternity human life is ephemeral. A song entitled “Be in Time” captures the essence:
• Life at best is very brief,
Like the falling of a leaf,
Like the binding of a sheaf,
Be in time!
My Life in Particular
In library school I learned about ephemera, material like brochures, that are not expected to last. These things are stored in filing cabinets and called vertical files. The Greeks set up a library at Alexandria where they collected books that would last forever. The library burned down and all the books were lost.
After my accident I realized my life on earth is finite. I’m not going to build a library but instead put my trust in God’s promise of eternal life. Pray with me that my friends and readers will do so also.

1 comment:

  1. I likewise do not recall hearing that word before. Is it in your vocabulary? It's good to have a reminder about how short our life on earth is. Hopefully it will prompt us to live humbly and righteously before our God.

    ReplyDelete