Saturday, May 28, 2011

One + One = Three

When I first met Christians at UBC I was surprised at the peace I felt when with them. After my accident I once again had this same feeling. The pastor from Cascades Gospel Chapel visited me every week. We would talk about his message that week share our hearts and then he would share communion with me. What caused the sense of peace that filled our time together? It was the presence in the room of a third person. Jesus put it this way: For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. (Matthew 18:20)

Note that Jesus promised to be with us plural. So we get our blog title, One + One = Three.

I see two encouraging thoughts arising from this verse and the reminiscences that precede it.

  1. That "no man is an island" and we need each other. The blessing of having Jesus with us is promised when we are with at least one other. I wonder if this is because we tend to become like Narcissus when alone, self-absorbed and simply unable to see that Jesus is with us.
  2. When we gather together as Christians joy will be present because Jesus is there. In addition as non-Christians are with us they too will experience the effect of Jesus' presence.

Let us pray that the presence of Jesus when Christians are together will help others warm up to Him.


 

2 comments:

  1. My favourite place to be is with other Christians, but I hadn't pondered the reason as deeply as you. Thank you for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post John and wonderful insight.

    Juhli.

    ReplyDelete