Monday, February 14, 2011

Slow to Anger

This week is my last in respite care at the Evergreen Extended Care Unit. Once again I marvel at the willingness of the hospital to offer me a place to stay while Laverne and my caregivers get a well earned rest. This week has taught me a valuable lesson.
First, on Monday on the Enright Files, an Israeli author said that the effect of anger is to isolate us. This brought to mind these verses from the Bible:
Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
(James 1:19-20)

Then on Tuesday, I had difficulty breathing and became quite abusive. For a time afterwards I felt cut off from my caregivers. Only when I apologized did I reconnect. So pray for me that I will be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger.
My intent is to write blog entries more often, so I will see you soon, and see if I can carry out my good intentions.
JRD !

5 comments:

  1. John,

    It must be very scary to have difficulty breathing...I am sure your caregivers know that and also sure that they understand your anxiety.

    We pray God hears your prayer to be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger.

    Thank you Lord also for the caregivers to accept your apology and you feel better for doing so..

    Take care John, we are praying for you always...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being alone, and having a hard time, God knows we are weak and that's why he gives us this battery of faith. I pray God sends you his strength, happiness, and joy, saying I'm sorry is always hard...but being perfect, must be so incredibly boring..., you are a giver not a taker...I pray that you and your caregivers have a wonderful relationship and that God watches over you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know John I would be the same way.

    Thus, the statement on the cross," Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do" beggars belief.

    We are blessed to be known by HIM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...today my girlfriend sent this to me and I thought well, maybe it is a cheer up:
    **A father was approached by his small son who told him proudly, "I know what the Bible means!"
    His father smiled and replied, "What do you mean, you 'know' what the Bible means?
    The son replied, "I do know!"
    "Okay," said his father. "What does the Bible mean?"
    "That's easy, Daddy..." the young boy replied excitedly," It stands for 'Basic Information Before Leaving Earth.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John,

    We think of you daily and pray you are feeling well...We hope Laverne and your caregivers are home from their get-a-way and you are once again home and comfortable in your own bed.

    We plan to be home in Powell River the middle of March...We have been so blessed to have had the opportunity to be here with our family for the winter. The children will spend spring break with us in Powell River, then we need to let them go home to their parents. We will miss them; they are so generous with their smiles,love and hugs. God is so good!!!!

    God bless you and Laverne with much love....

    ReplyDelete